Twisted Metal

Dreadsmite
Semi-New Member

Twisted Metal

Post by Dreadsmite » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:47 pm

The brainchild of David Jaffe before he went on to make God of War. The Twisted Metal series was easily one of my favorite franchises growing up, starting with Twisted Metal 2. I was lucky enough to be allured into its vehicle combat system when I was young - dumb and craving a new gaming genre fix. The game took a radical turn after the Australian game company 989 released Twisted Metal 3 and 4, which were controversially negative to mixed enough to cause Jaffe to step back in and revive the franchise with Twisted Metal Black. Black took the radical psychopathic and over the top vehicular gun-play and warped the perspective into a much more dismal and desolate attitude. Black was definitely the darkest approach in the series ever conceived, and I don't blame Jaffe due to the damage 989 caused. If a series is getting tarnished by separate companies who borrowed the license, sometimes the best approach to revive a series is to take a 90 degree turn. After all, this is exactly what Jaffe did with God of War with the recent God of War 4. Black will always have a place for my nostalgia, as it is one of the heaviest hitting games that convinced me to become a game designer myself. I just wish that more people knew about its greatness, like with the release of Twisted Metal X (2012), my favorite and last installment of the series.